The purpose of this two-day workshop is to provide a fora to share regional progress on animal health and management in finfish aquaculture and to identify priorities to enhance capacity in disease control and prevention. In particular, the workshop aims at:
– taking stock of regional progress in the field of finfish pathology, early diagnosis of pathogens in fish farms, disease surveillance, disease analysis and outbreak reporting;
– discussing challenges related to aquatic animal health regulations and governance, current regional capacity on control and prevention, epidemiological knowledge, risk management and analysis, diagnosis and monitoring;
– discussing sanitary biosecurity measures at the farm level, including the responsible use of registered, recorded and traceable medicines and vaccines;
– taking stock of applied standards for the prevention and control of contaminants along the aquaculture value chain for food safety;
– discussing risk analysis methodologies to be applied in Mediterranean and Black Sea aquaculture as well as the importance of monitoring and recording data that are not usually documented (e.g. on alien species, escapees, pathogens, drugs, feeds, safety indicators); and
– discussing issues and priorities in support of early diagnosis plans and identifying key elements for a guidance document on risk analysis methods and data recording in aquaculture.
Related upcoming events
2018-10-22 - 2018-10-26 All dayNo additional details for this event.
2018-11-12 - 2018-11-16 All dayThe 15th International Symposium of Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics (ISVEE 15) is coming to Chiang Mai, Thailand, on 12 - 16 November 2018. As in previous symposiums, ISVEE 15 will be a global forum for interdisciplinary collaboration and communication among graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, practitioners, junior and senior researchers, as well as policymakers, health, veterinary public health, social science, and animal health economic professionals, to learn and share with a vision of building a better life tomorrow for veterinary epidemiology at the local, regional, and international levels. To achieve this shared vision, we will be inviting well-known keynote speakers to share their vision and wisdom in the areas of education, animal health and production, technology, research and public policy – presenting innovations that can be applied to our common goal of solving today’s burning issues in veterinary epidemiology and economics.
2019-01-24 All dayThe objectives of this MedAID regional workshop are i) to present the analysis of the the survey conducted to assess the sustainability of the Mediterranean marine fish farming sector; and ii) to discuss the obtained results with representatives of the surveyed companies, other aquaculture producers and other key players of the sector in order to get their inputs and have a broader vision from the whole value chain of the Mediterranean aquaculture. Finally, the workshop will make available to the entire aquaculture community a report with the results and inputs from the discussions that will be taken into account in the preparation of the final synthesis document that will be submitted to the European Comission.
2019-02-25 - 2019-03-01 All dayEpidemiology, as the study of health and disease status in populations, has great potential to improve animal health. In addition, current legislation requires the application of epidemiology to regulate animal movements and trade, and to implement risk-based surveillance systems. However, whilst in aquaculture health is managed at the population level, the application of epidemiology has lagged behind its use in livestock systems. This course aims to provide participants with sufficient understanding of epidemiological approaches and principles so that they are able to apply them to their work. Specifically, the course will seek to raise the awareness of epidemiology so that the participants can constructively work with epidemiologists and understand, interpret and use results of epidemiological studies. Bringing together aquatic animal health specialists from the administration, industry and research to discuss health in the context of epidemiology will enhance communication and understanding between them.
2019-03-07 - 2019-03-11 All dayNo additional details for this event.
2019-05-07 - 2019-05-10 All dayNo additional details for this event.
2019-05-20 - 2019-05-24 All dayNo additional details for this event.